Thursday, January 11, 2007

Extractors Liven Up the 170


Like most 170 drivers I was looking for a little extra oomph for the Falcon. They really weren't built for speed after all. When I had the engine rebuilt I specified a Crow 63613 cam to try and get a little more out of the 170. The specs of the cam can be found at their website

The next step for me was to improve the exhaust from the restrictive stock manifold. As part of the installation I also had the engine dynoed before and after to put some numbers to the improvements (if any).

The improvements were actually pretty considerable. The dyno measured a 33%! gain in peak HP, and a 15% gain in torque on before and after runs in L (unfortunately they only did an after run in D). I assume some of this gain is due to the cam, but even so the numbers sure make fitting extractors look like a wothwhile investment even for a basic engine like our small sixes.

Where you notice it though is behind the wheel. The car feels so much less sluggish (lets face it with 58 HP on tap we're not talking speed demon here are we?) at take off, and will rev out much more than before. It was $500 for the supply and fitting of the set of Wildcat extractors (not including dyno). I was actually intending on Pacemakers, but these fouled on the starter and couldn't be fitted.

The other benefit of the extractors is that they look so much better than the original manifold, so unless you're after absolute originality they have plenty of pluses. All in all I'm very happy with the investment.

Andrew Waite

No comments: